Where do scroll indicators go on iPhone Duo?

In the process of updating an app for the iPhone Duo, I initially changed scroll/collection view leading/trailing to use the safe area. This puts the scroll indicators "inside" the side navigation bar:

But looking at both Safari and Settings, the scroll indicators are placed "outside" the navigation bar:

This leads to a couple of questions:

  1. Is the "outside" placement correct for a view with scrolling content?
  2. Is there a way to achieve this without reorganizing the scroll view content?

The only solution I've found is to place a new container view inside a scroll view that uses the superview as its edge constraints. The container view gets placed using safe areas.

If there's an easier way, I'd love to know what it is.

I think I might have answered my own question. When I encountered a collection view in my view hierarchy, I realized that adding a container view was intractable: the only views to modify are cells.

It then occurred to me that I really want to adjust content inset, so I tried this:

scrollingView.contentInset = view.safeAreaInsets

That leaves the scroll indicators at the view edges and gets my content inside the safe area.

Again, I'd like confirmation that this is the correct approach. And now I'm also wondering why this isn't the default behavior or something that can be modified in a storyboard.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Where do scroll indicators go on iPhone Duo?
 
 
Q